Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Fish Place

When we first moved to the area and I was getting to know my great-aunt Ruth, she took me for lunch once at this little fish market. We have always referred to it as "The Fish Place" with her. Until this summer I did not know that its real name is actually Point Loma Seafoods. 

I remember it as this little hole in the wall that had fresh seafood in the glass cases and we walked up to the counter to put in our order for the fish plate or the combo plate and then stood around waiting until our number was called. Once we got our food, I remember carrying it outside and finding a table overlooking the water. 
The combo plate--fish, shrimp and crab cake
In June we met up with Ruth with the intention of going to The Fish Place for dinner. However, we were unable to eat there because we got there after 6:00 p.m., and the place closes at 6:00. I felt bad because Ruth rarely got there and was really geared up to eat there (as was Caleb who kept asking for weeks when we were going to eat at The Fish Place with Ruth). We told her we would take a rain check and do it with her another time. Unfortunately, we never got back there with Ruth before she died.

But we finally made it there for a late lunch on Monday after our excursion to Cabrillo National Monument. It is a lot like I remembered it  and still is a bit of a hole-in-the-wall fish market place. But they now have a seating area for eating inside which was nice for our chilly afternoon. 

Most importantly, though, it was as delightful and tasty as I remembered it. 
Yummy!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Seriously: the perfect day in San Diego is a an afternoon with stops at Cabrillo Monument and Point Loma Seafoods. Before I ever lived here, my family knew about this place and we almost always had lunch there before I would get the plane to go back to MI. YUMMY!!! My favorite is the squid sandwich. .... and now I'm hungry!

Danae said...

A squid sandwich...really?!? I might have to try that sometime...just to live life on the edge.