Our world has been a bit shaken in the last couple weeks. We officially found out a little over a week ago that my niece has a cancerous tumor. She is only 3 years old--half a year younger than Caleb--and a bundle of joyous energy! My sister and bro-in-law had been warned that it could be cancer but actually hearing that it was cancer with a specific name just knocked the wind out of me. I am the type who sees the glass as half full and imagines a happy outcome out of everything so it just floored me.
Being a week into this journey gives one a little more perspective. That first day we just waited to see what was next. The "next" included a 3 1/2 day hospital stay full of tests for Maddie. She got to go home for the weekend to be with the family before having to come back in for an out-patient surgery to remove as much of the tumor as possible. That went well though we don't have more answers...we are just waiting again for what happens next. The crazy thing is that when you look at Maddie, you would never know she has cancer. She is her normal wonderfully exuberant and joyful self.
I am not sure how many are actually reading this blog, but I ask that you just pray for Maddie and for healing in her body (that they will treat her in a way that preserves her way of life and heals her of the cancer), Jill and Mark as they have to watch their child go through this (and that they will have time for themselves and each other), and the doctors and nurses who are treating Maddie (for wisdom and direction since this is a rare type of cancer).
Many people have stepped forward to help Mark and Jill and to pray for them throughout this process which is such a blessing. I was able to spend last week with them to help out in little ways, but it is so good to know that they are surrounded by friends who are standing in daily as their family during this very difficult and uncertain time.
Although we don't understand why this is happening to Maddie, we know that God is faithful and always good. He holds each of us in his hands and has our days planned out before we even know them. And that is what we are hanging onto these days.
4 comments:
I've been praying since I heard she had a tumor...now I know a little more about how to pray...thank you for posting this!
Danae, thanks for writing a bit more of this story. Maddie (and Mark & Jill of course) has been in my prayers and on my heart since I heard the news via Crossroads' prayer email. Praying for you all, too, as like you wrote this shakes your world as well. Love and hugs to you all!
Love you guys. Couldn't imagine what we'd do without having you here in CA. Can't wait for the cousins to hang out together for a couple days this weekend!!!
Wow, Danae. I missed the Crossroads email somehow... I am so sorry to hear this news. I have been wondering and praying about Maddie for the past couple of weeks. I'll continue to pray for all of you as you battle through this awful situation.
Post a Comment