Here is a pix of Isaac with Paul and the bird (though Isaac was not too excited about being that close to one). The video allows you to hear the sound of the birds in the exhibit and see the bird in action including its tongue (not sure if that is what it was) licking the nectar and Paul's hand. It was a really cool experience!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Outing at the Safari Park
My plus-one pass for the SD Zoo and Safari Park (kinda dislike the new name--it will always be the WAP to me) is expiring at the end of this month, and I don't think we'll be renewing it this year. Yesterday I told the boys that we could take Dad to the Safari Park if it wasn't raining today. This a.m. Isaac was up bright and early, and instead of turning on the PBS cartoons, he tuned into the news so he could watch the weather. Boy, were they excited to inform us that it was not raining so we could go!
It was a chilly a.m. (low 50s for you Midwesterners who are looking at drifts of snow...) so we hiked up to Condor Ridge where we saw the bald eagles, a porcupine, a prairie dog, a couple hawks "enjoying" each other (Isaac asked what they were doing so I just talked about the two-bird pyramid they were building), a couple cute li'l burrowing owls, the condors, and some big horn sheep (just sheep with short horns, actually). The picture below is of the boys at a view point overlooking the San Pasqual Valley.
We also got to see the Sumatran Tiger wandering through its enclosure which was very fun since it is usually sleeping and/or blending into its environment. We skipped riding the train since we viewed the rhinos up close (see one over Caleb's left shoulder?!?) and got a great glimpse of the giraffes walking under the palm trees (a little harder to pick out in this tiny picture but they are there!).
We saw our "regular" sights: elephants, lions, gibbons, Nile Monitor, meerkats and the play areas. The boys have gotten braver and spent time watching the gorillas. We did a couple other new things this time--playing in Discovery Station and going into Lorikeet Landing. Somebody gave us their cup of nectar and another person kindly passed over their lorikeet so Paul got to feed one.
Here is a pix of Isaac with Paul and the bird (though Isaac was not too excited about being that close to one). The video allows you to hear the sound of the birds in the exhibit and see the bird in action including its tongue (not sure if that is what it was) licking the nectar and Paul's hand. It was a really cool experience!
By the time we left the park, it was a balmy mid-60s and delightfully sunny. After such a good day, I am wondering if I will last an entire year without getting another pass. We (the boys and I especially) have enjoyed going to the park and zoo with so many family members and friends and even with just each other for a special outing.
Here is a pix of Isaac with Paul and the bird (though Isaac was not too excited about being that close to one). The video allows you to hear the sound of the birds in the exhibit and see the bird in action including its tongue (not sure if that is what it was) licking the nectar and Paul's hand. It was a really cool experience!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
"Two-bird pyramid" - that's a good one! I'm totally asking your kids this week how their trip to the park was, just to find out what story they decided to share....
Aww, I miss the WAP SO much! And I miss going with you and the boys even more!! So many fun memories. Owen talks about the "animal park" being "far away" so often. He looked at this post with me and said "Zoo!!" (Secretly I'm hoping you renew so that if we visit this summer you and I can go with the kids - hehe. :)
Post a Comment